The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Friday, March 23, 2012

Quotes Kara Loved

1 - My dad always taught me that when there’s an elephant in the room, introduce it.

2 - I thought it was funny to hear how his mother talked to him growing up. First about being frugal: “Why do you need to go to the circus you’ve already been there.” Or  “You buy new clothes when your old clothes wear out not when they ‘go out of fashion’ “ and then about calling him Randolph. I thought that was funny.

3 - Let kids express themselves – I really liked the story about him painting his bedroom walls.

4 - Even though I didn’t reach the NFL, I sometimes think I got more from pursuing that dream, and NOT accomplishing it, then I did from many of the ones I did accomplish.

5 - Self-esteem isn’t something you can give – it is something they have to build and there’s only one way to teach kids how to develop it: You give them something they can’t do, they work hard until they find they can do it, and you just keep repeating the process. (I liked this.)

6 - “I don’t believe in the no-win scenario.”

7 - I loved his story about how people are more important than things when his sister warned her kids not to make a mess in his car and he poured out his pop in it.

8 - I, like Lisa, LOVED the brick wall analogies. “Brick walls are there for a reason – they give us a chance to show how badly we want something. (This really resonated with me.)

9 - No matter how bad things are you can always make things worse. At the same time it is often within your power to make them better.

10    10 - It’s not helpful if we spend every day dreading tomorrow.

11       11 - I loved how one of his bullet points was to rethink the telephone. (For all you out there who know I suck at talking on the phone….I am not alone in it!)

12    12 - When it comes to men who are romantically interested in you, it’s really simple. Just ignore everything they say and only pay attention to what they do. (This advice will be shared with my kids later in life too – it’s true!!)

13      13 - I also liked a quote mom liked…”A lot of people want a shortcut. I find the best shortcut is the long way, which is basically two words: work hard.”

14    14. -  I really liked when he was teaching his students how to apologize and he told them: “If other people owe you an apology too – you may not hear from them for awhile. After all, what are the odds that they get to the right emotional place to apologize at the exact moment you do?”
      15 - I REALLY enjoyed this book and many things sunk in to me. I think what I have been going over most, though, is trying to figure out some of the questions he asked about himself:

-        What makes me unique?
-        How do I define myself?
-        What do I, alone, truly have to offer?
-        What are my childhood dreams & goals?

Once again, great book choice mom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment